Events in Life Impacting Benefits
Life Events and Dependent Verification
You can make a change to your benefits during the Plan year if you experience an IRS defined life event such as a marriage, birth, divorce, or spouse gain/loss of coverage at his/her employer. These events enable to you make a change as of the effective date of the event. You can enter your change up to 30 days following your event date. When changing benefits due to a life event, the change you make must be consistent with the event type. For example, for the birth of a child, you can add your newborn child to the plan but not any other children.
Changes to your benefit deductions being as soon as administratively possible following the entry of the change and submission of dependent verification documentation, if applicable. If you are removing dependents and/or reducing coverage, your benefit deductions will change/stop about a week after you enter the event. Windstream receives a deduction change file from the benefits enrollment system one week prior to each pay date. Windstream does not give refunds for premiums charged during this time period – it is up to you to enter the event and needed documentation timely.
Common Life Events to Add Dependents
- Birth of a child
- Adoption of a child
- Spouse or dependent child loses coverage elsewhere
- Lose eligibility for Medicaid
Common Life Events to Remove Dependents
- Death of a child or spouse
- Loss of dependent child status (reaches age 26)
- Spouse or dependent child gains coverage elsewhere
- Become eligible for Medicare or Medicaid
You can complete a Life Event enrollment online by going to https://windstreambenefits.com/ and clicking on the 1st orange box. Once logged into your benefit account you will click on “Make a Change”, then scroll down a bit and click on the box that says “Change my Benefits” then you will click the “Life Event” bar and select the life event that applies to your event. From here you should be able to follow the prompts to complete the change.
Important: You have 30 days from the transaction date to submit verification for dependents who have not been verified. Dependent coverage is not activated until acceptable documentation has been submitted and approved.
Ways to submit documentation:
- Scan and upload your documents. Click on the item in your To Do list and follow the steps to upload your documents.
- Download the MyChoice Mobile App from your device’s app store. You can easily snap a picture and upload your documents.
- Fax your documents to 515-343-2246. Note “Windstream” on your cover sheet.
- Mail the Dependent Verification Request form (available in the Reference Center under Personal Documents) with the appropriate documentation to: Windstream Benefits, c/o Businessolver, PO Box 1535, Des Moines, IA 50305.
Should you need assistance or have questions please contact Businessolver at 888-850-1712.